We all know that it is important to take out car insurance: our roads are dangerous, thieves are all around us, people drive like hooligans, and cars are expensive. But, what should you take note of when you sign that dotted line? (Although, Budget Insurance is a paperless environment, which means you can take out an insurance policy online or telephonically.)
What you should know about Budget Car Insurance
The person as stated in the policy who drives the insured car the most. A car can only have one regular driver.
This is any person residing at the same residential address as the regular driver.
You can claim for damage to your car, theft, damage, natural disasters (excluding hail damage) and damage you cause to another party’s property.
3rd party, fire & theft
You can claim for the theft of your car or for fire, lightning, explosion damage as well as the damage you cause to other parties’ property. However, you can’t claim for any accidental damage to your car.
3rd party only
You can only claim for damage you cause to another party’s property. Just remember that although this is the most cost‑effective cover, you won’t be covered for the theft of or any damage to your car.
Check your policy and ask the sales agent about:
- The sound system
- Hail damage (automatically included with financed vehicles)
- The canopy
- Vehicle hire
- Accessories, such as rims or hands-free kits
- Tracking devices
- Extended liability
- Cash Back Bonus
I use the car…
You use your car for social domestic or recreational purposes and to travel between your permanent place work and home
You use your car for social domestic or recreational purposes, to travel between your permanent place work and home, and you make less than 10 business related trips per month
You use your car for social domestic or recreational purposes, to travel between your permanent place work and home, but you also travel regularly for business purposes.
You’re part of a lift club to drive between your permanent place work and home, and your vehicle is at home for the greater part of the month
You make use of public transport to get to work and leave your car at a station, or your car is at home more than 60% of the month
You are not employed but care for the household
This is what you pay once your claim has been approved. When you take out insurance, you and the agent will discuss and agree on a standard excess amount. This is to prevent fraudulent claims and in turn keep your premiums lower.
What can affect my excess amount?
- If you’re outside South African borders
- If the regular driver is under 25
- If someone else, besides your spouse or partner, drove the car
- If you’ve had your license for less than 2 years
- If you claim within the first 6 months after cover commencedThe time of the night
- Theft, unless your vehicle was fitted with an approved tracking device
Help, it’s an emergency!
When you’re with Budget Insurance, you get:
- Free vehicle repatriation for car accidents outside South Africa’s borders
- Emergency telephonic assistance
- Road and air emergency response
- Transfers of lifesaving medication/blood
- Towing to the nearest dealer after a mechanical/electrical breakdown
- Cover for the call-out fee plus one hour’s labour for a locksmith or a flat tyre/battery
- Emergency delivery of 10 litres of fuel (charged at cost)
- Roadside, mechanic and direction assistance
Budget Insurance automatically includes emergency assistance in our car insurance packages. From a burst tyre to a medical dilemma – we’re with you in your hour of need.
This is important
- Always speak the truth
- Don’t hold anything back – the more we know, the better we can cover you
- Don’t be reckless
- Ensure that all your details are correct
- Ensure that we know when your details change
- Never admit fault without our written consent
- Never drink and drive
Terms and conditions apply.