New Customer Sales: 0861 00 19 17{{currentVDN}}   |   Existing Customer Sales, Services & Claims: 0861 60 01 20   |   24 Hour Emergency Assistance: 0860 10 42 11
  • Call me back

    Please call me back

    Please enter a name.
    Name must contain some letters.
    Please enter a contact number.
    Please enter a valid contact number.
    Please select a reason.

    Please select a suitable date and time

    Please select a suitable date.
    Please select a suitable time.

    Thank you, we will call you shortly.

    Refer 3 friends for a quote and stand a chance to

Property Insurance

Property Insurance Benefits

Home & Valuables Cover


Cover your home and the valuable contents within it, all with Budget. We offer affordable property insurance quotes to suit your pocket.

Assist Benefits


Our Home Contents and Buildings Insurance come standard with our Assist Benefits, there for you at home and in medical emergencies.

Discount on Premiums


Add any property insurance to your Car Insurance and you’ll get a discount on your insurance premiums. Pretty cool, right?

Get a Cash Back Bonus


Simply add the Cash Back Bonus to your Budget Insurance policy and if you remain claim free for two years, we’ll reward you by giving you money back.

What is Property insurance?


Property insurance refers to two kinds of cover – buildings insurance and home contents insurance. At Budget, you can get both of these under one policy. This means you only have one payment to worry about every month, making your life that much less stressful.


Buildings insurance


The fixed structures on your property – your house, cottages, swimming pool, tennis court, walls, fences, gates, garages, and immovable outbuildings – are at risk from a number of perils. At Budget, we cover your home for nearly every scenario you can think of.


Natural occurrences like storms, floods, fires, earthquakes, and lightning are all covered. We also pay out if your property is damaged during a break-in or attempted break-in.

Home contents insurance


We offer two types of Home Contents Insurance: Comprehensive and Fire and Storm Only. Both cover the valuables in your home that aren’t fixed.


Our Comprehensive option covers you against theft, loss, and damage. So, if a wayward cricket ball accidentally smashes into your flat screen TV, we’ll pay to get you a new one. We even provide some cover for vet bills if your beloved pet is injured in a road accident.


Our Fire and Storm Only option protects your home contents if they’re damaged or lost in a fire or storm. We also cover against other natural disasters, such as explosions, earthquakes, and floods, and we even cover damage caused by burst geysers and pipes.

More about property insurance

Household insurance


Look around your home – you’ve worked hard for all your stuff! That’s why we make it easy to cover your home contents in case of theft or damage.


Read more

House insurance


You could face financial ruin without buildings insurance. We explain why this kind of cover is one of the most important insurance types you can get.


Read more

Homeowners insurance


You could face hefty financial consequences if a guest is injured at your home. Find out how homeowners liability insurance can protect you.


Read more

Building Insurance Benefits



Homeowner's Liability Cover


Increase your homeowner's liability cover to R5 million, R10 million, or R20 million.



Home Assist


You automatically get access to our Home Assist database of at-home emergency professionals.



Loss of Rent


If your tenant has to temporarily vacate, we’ll cover a portion of your lost rent.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to specify in my property insurance policy?

Whether you’re taking out a Home Contents or Building Insurance policy with us, there are a few specific things we need to know about.

For Home Contents Cover, you need to specify any particularly valuable and expensive items. This usually includes artwork, electronics, appliances, and furniture, among others.

For Buildings Cover, you need to tell us if you have thatch on your property. We’ll cover it, but only if we know about it. You also need to specify every geyser, solar panel, and boiler in your home in order to have cover for them. If you only mention one geyser, but there are two on the property, we won’t pay your claim, even if it’s for the one we know about.

Must my home be occupied if I have property insurance?

If your home is going to be unoccupied for more than 60 days in a year, you need to tell us about it so we can adjust your cover. An unoccupied home is at a much higher risk of various perils, so we need to adjust your premium to account for this. If you don’t tell us about it, you won’t be covered for theft of your contents, or malicious and accidental damage to your contents or your building.

Should I increase my property insurance every year?

Absolutely. Building costs go up annually and the value of your home contents decreases relative to inflation. So, it’s important to call us up once a year (we recommend on the anniversary of your policy) and update your sum insured. This is also a good time to take stock of any new possessions you’ve added to your home that you forgot to inform us about, so we can add them to your cover.

Is wear and tear covered under property insurance?

While we cover nearly every danger your home and its contents might face, we don’t protect you from time. It’s up to you to maintain your house and keep it in the best possible condition. If your home is damaged due to a lack of upkeep, we won’t cover you.

Similarly, we won’t pay for a new washing machine if yours decides to pack up. Especially if it’s the one your folks received as a wedding present 20 years ago. However, if it’s damaged because of an electrical surge, we’ll pay to repair or replace it.

Do I need home security to get property insurance?

At Budget, we don’t expect you to install the latest security tech in your home to keep criminals out – we know this can be expensive. But it’s important to keep it as secure as you can, which requires some basic common sense. Like make sure there are locks on all the doors and don’t leave your home unlocked when you go out. Having said that, the more secure your home is, the lower your insurance premium is going to be because it means you’re at a lower risk of being burgled.

Ready to Budget?

Get Covered Today.


Save up to R408pm* with us!