Whether you’re planning a date or celebrating with your pals, Valentine’s Day is the perfect occasion to celebrate your loved ones. Unfortunately, the day of hearts has been linked to overspending, but there doesn’t have to be a price tag!
Use our budget-friendly guideline for Valentine’s Day.
Choosing an activity
Date activities are usually expensive, so it’s important to plan ahead and get creative. Here are some great options:
- Travel together (virtually). From lounging on a tropical island to stargazing in a forest, you can bring any location to you with virtual reality. Set up an online date and use Zoom’s background option to set the scene. Use a good set of headphones and set out snacks before your call.
- Have a picnic. You can either set up in your backyard or choose a location, like the beach or park. Prepare some food and drinks, spread a pretty blanket and you’re good to go!
- Create a movie experience by choosing your favourite romcoms and having a marathon. Your favourite snacks and comfy seats are a must. Up the ante by playing videos or a photo slideshow of your memories.
- Try cooking recipes from around the world. You could pick a country (e.g. Italy or Korea) and prepare romantically themed food, from starters to dessert. It makes for a great bonding activity as you both try to navigate new ingredients, cooking techniques and cultures.
- Have a local adventure by exploring an area you both haven’t been to before. Make it a road trip by leaving early so you can cover as much ground as possible. Use Google Maps to find landmarks you’d like to see and plan out your time accordingly.
You can find local deals for other activities on the ENTERTAINER app, Daddy’s Deals and Hyperli.
Dressing to the nines is often expensive, so don’t rush to the shops just yet. Consider your date activity and use these ideas for a V Day look:
- Mix and match clothing you’ve never combined before. For example, pair a skirt with a different top, or try different colour combinations.
- Accessorise to elevate your look. Belts, hats, watches or jewellery are good options.
- Only buy one new item if necessary, for example a pair of shoes or an accessory.
- Thrift for a new outfit on online shops like Yaga. You may even find an entire outfit that won’t cost a fortune.
Preparing a gift
Giving your loved one something personal as a token of your love is a wonderful gesture. Try your hand at these gift ideas:
- A handwritten letter or handmade card – if you aren’t the most artistic type, go digital! Try Canva, an easy-to-use design app and website that has free templates for most occasions.
- Gift your memories by making a video or slideshow of your pictures using platforms like FlexClip.
- Give them ‘acts of service vouchers’. They could be as simple as ‘make me a coffee’, ‘one free massage’, ‘run an errand’ and ‘a hug’.
- Make a home-made treat box. Fill a pretty box with their favourite snacks (e.g. chocolate and nuts) or baked goods (e.g. cupcakes or brownies).
Good to know
Quality time with your loved one is the most important thing. For extra V Day insight, keep these tips in mind:
- Learn each other’s love language by doing the Love Language Quiz. This will give you insight into how each of you likes to receive and share love.
- Keep it simple by doing things you both enjoy, even if it’s a stroll and ice cream.
- Set a budget. This could mean capping gifts or activities at R200, leaving room for creativity!
Find more tips on our blog.